Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Anonymity?

So, since I have a few followers I don't know, some I do, I've really been wrestling with how much to reveal. We've all heard stories about creepers*, and I remember seeing a news story when I was a kid about how you should ALWAYS Google yourself to see if anyone has set up a creepy stalker fan site in your honor (personally I don't think I'm THAT cool) and so on. But really, I've never been ALL that careful online. My screen names tend to be, well, my first name, middle initial, and last name. I don't click spam links or anything, and if I post an ad on Craigslist, I don't put my name or phone number, I just let them send emails to the anonymous address. So I'm not an idiot, but I'm also not paranoid. But when it comes to revealing details about my life on the day to day front, I'm feeling the need to be a bit more cautious. Thus far, I have not posted anyone's name but my own, but that's bound to get confusing sometime down the line. So I've been throwing around aliases for those that I mention the most, trying to decide if I really want to go the route of full on nicknames, or just put initials (which I do for convenience sake in any other forum I use online). I haven't decided yet... But I'm curious. What do you reveal about your "real life" in your writing? Are you super anonymous, bold as they come, or somewhere in the middle? Cause it's one thing, I think, for me to write a post ranting about my husband's stinky socks and my son wiggling away mid-diaper change to leave a trail of pee as he crawls, but quite another, to me, to mention their names. Does that make sense?


*not that I think anyone's a creeper on here, again I don't think I'm that cool, but that "follow anonymously" thing skeeves me out a bit.

2 comments:

  1. makes sense. I always think about stuff like that too. esp with those crazy Lifetime movies ; ) lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I am coming out now and saying I'm not a creeper...hehehehe, in fact I'm pretty sure this is my first time here, so just wanted to say hello and tell you that you have a nice blog!

    ReplyDelete