Tuesday, August 18, 2009

JSYK

I may not be what you would call a Bible thumper (why is my spell check going off on the word thumper?). Depending on your definition, I suppose. I was raised in a Christian home, by all means. I was raised that if you did wrong, you got spanked, if you sat down to eat, you blessed your food, that you were to honor your mom and dad even if you secretly thought they were huge buttheads for making you eat your vegetables, that you should start every day by putting on the full armor of God (we had a routine in the car or before walking out the door, I still remember the whole thing mom!), and, I think most importantly, that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, so that we could have a relationship and forgiveness from God (oh yeah and that whole Heaven deal was a pretty sweet bonus too!). I grew up going to churches of many denominations, even went to a Christian college (before I developed a Wednesday- Tuesday drinking problem and a nifty little teen pregnancy... post for another day). My point to all of this is to say that even though I was "raised right," I didn't and haven't always stayed true to what I know is correct.

By far, I am not professing perfection and I never have. But my back and forth war with God, though ongoing, has taught me this much: that there really is no cut and dried "perfect" Christian. Really, anyone who would say that they ARE the perfect example probably needs the most work. I have learned, however, that no matter how far I run in the opposite direction, I always end up being pursued by God in ways I can't even begin to explain. Dude must think I fucking rock. I'm just saying.

Oh. And speaking of the F bomb in conjunction with God... I'll be straight with you, lest anyone think I'm being a hypocrite. I had premarital sex (not saying that was a good call cause honestly married sex is better but again that's another post entirely). I have tattoos and WILL get more. I drink. I smoke (sometimes). I cuss. I eat crap food. I don't read my Bible as much as I should. I watch "bad" movies. I yell at my husband. Some days I hide from my baby cause I don't want to hear him whine. And guess what? Like I said, I am still totally loved by God. Just as much as the next guy. I'm still absolutely, 100% saved by grace.

And I just happen to think that fucking rocks. :)

2 comments:

  1. Tisk tisk. This reminds of the time I almost got beat up but that's a story for another day.

    ReplyDelete